Here are some of the key highlights from the October 2018 release. For the complete list of new features, enhancements, and fixes in the release, see:
- Initiative: Boomi Loves Developers
- Initiative: Enable more control over privileges and data
- Initiative: Simplify Runtime Management
- Initiative: Improve Boomi’s Hosting Environment
- Mediate: API Design and Management
- B2B Management / EDI
- User Experience (UX)
- Coming Soon: Community and Support Site Migration - October 27, 2018
- Community Ideas Delivered
Initiative: Opening up Boomi
We want our customers to be able to get things done, whether that’s in Boomi or outside of Boomi. As part of this initiative, we are working to open up Boomi so that you can do more outside Boomi, or bring things into Boomi more easily.
For reporting, licensing, and development reasons, it is sometimes necessary to get data in Boomi into a spreadsheet. For example, you may want to do an analysis of your connector usage. Or you might want to adjust a cross-reference table and then reimport.
- A new “Export CSV” button is available for Licensing, Process Reporting, and Cross Reference Tables.
- For Process Reporting, the CSV respects the current filters on a view, but it shows all records (up to 1,000) rather than page by page.
- For licensing, the CSV contains the same columns as in the table, and will export all results regardless of the number.
- For a cross reference table, the CSV contains all columns and rows in the table, and exports in a format that can be reimported if necessary. Some characters do not work on reimport.
For more information, see:
- Exporting connection licensing data to a CSV file
- Exporting Process Reporting results to a CSV file
- Exporting a cross reference table to a CSV file
Initiative: Boomi Loves Developers
We want code developers to have a first class experience in Boomi. This initiative is about improving the experience for integration developers in Boomi, from configuration through code.
Access Execution Properties
One big reason that scripting was required for some use cases was the inability to access certain execution properties. In order to reduce the need for scripting, we have added many of these properties. These properties are generally useful for sending messages about the state of an execution, or for making decisions in a process.
- A new “Execution Property” section has been added to applicable parameter value screens.
- Account ID, Node ID, Atom ID, Execution ID, Number of Documents, Process ID, and Process Name are available as new properties.
- Number of documents - this is the number of documents at the current step in the process.
- Process ID and Process Name - these are for the process or subprocess that get the execution property.
- Number of Documents at Current Step - make decisions based on the number of documents at a given step in the process.
- Node ID - For Molecules and Atom Clouds, the ID of the node where the process is running.
For more information, see Execution properties.
Show Recently Used Components - Folders Edition
In developing a process, you often need to choose the same component multiple times. In the last release we added the ability to quickly find a recently edited component. Now, we have added the same for recently used folders.
- Up to three of the most recently used folders are displayed.
- Recently used folders are stored for the duration of the session.
Initiative: Enable more control over privileges and data
We want our customers to have the right level of control over who can see and do what, while at the same time providing an intuitive and usable experience.
View Data privilege is now environment-specific
Previously, the ability to view the data passed through an integration was controlled globally, while the ability to see the metadata of an execution was controlled at the environment level. In order to make this behavior more consistent and give more control, administrators can now control who has access to view document data at an environment level. This allows administrators to, for example, give developers full access in test environments but only access to viewing execution metadata (not document payloads) in a production environment. Additionally, help text is added to clarify how these environment roles work in conjunction with the Environment Management privilege.
Initiative: Simplify Runtime Management
We want to minimize as much of the burden associated with the administration of Atoms, Molecules and Atom Clouds as possible. The goal is to minimize manual configuration and monitoring of runtime environments to enable organizations to more easily deploy at scale.
Runtime configuration via the platform UI
Allow for configuration of forked execution properties via the platform UI.
Configuration options have been added (within Atom Management) to enable you to centrally manage properties that affect how forked executions run, through the platform UI. These properties could previously only be configured by directly editing the atom.vmoptions file.
The following configuration options are accessible in the new Forked Execution Properties tab:
- Runner Heap Size
- Worker Heap Size
- Browser Heap Size
You can set a limited number of properties for configuring forked execution. Other properties that control the basic functionality of forked execution (such as, file encoding and Java security compatibility) are inherited from the Molecule or Atom Cloud and cannot be modified.
For more information, see Forked Execution Properties panel.
Initiative: Improve Boomi’s Hosting Environment
Dell Boomi’s continued growth requires the flexibility and worldwide scale of a public cloud hosting provider. Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a mature public cloud platform, rich in features and compatible with our existing offering. With AWS, Boomi can support additional features, including encryption for data at rest and clouds for targeted workloads. Plus, the proven technology services of AWS enables Boomi to accelerate the pace of innovation.
As part of this effort, the Dell Boomi hosting environment is moving to a new infrastructure provider, Amazon Web Services. A phased approach is being taken to this migration. The Dell Boomi platform was the first phase and moved on September 8, 2018. Atom Cloud migration will come later. To learn more about the transition plans, read and follow “Dell Boomi's Planned Improvements to its Hosting Environment.”
Mediate: API Design and Management
The API Management team is in the midst of technical discovery efforts toward the incorporation of open source technologies into our platform. The ultimate goal of this effort is to address API Gateway and API Developer Portal functionality gaps by the start of next year.
We are engaged in ongoing meetings with internal and external stakeholders to validate designs and garner input. User Experience is leading these engagements to ensure we are meeting the mark on addressing our users’ most urgent needs and challenges in this space.
B2B Management / EDI
Initiative: Reporting API for All B2B Standards
In order to enable external reporting use cases, we are adding reporting APIs for all EDI standards. Thus far, X12, AS2, EDIFACT, and now RosettaNet APIs are available. HL7 and Tradacoms APIs are still planned.
RosettaNet reporting API
A query API has been added that supports getting RosettaNet reporting metadata.
- A RosettaNet Connector Record object is exposed in the AtomSphere API.
- The QUERY method is supported.
- Tracked fields and others are queryable.
For more information, see RosettaNet Connector Record object.
RosettaNet reporting searchability
You can now filter by more fields for RosettaNet transactions.
- PIP Code, PIP Instance ID, Receiver Routing ID, Sender Routing ID, and In Response to ID are now searchable.
For more information, see Finding trading partner documents.
Initiative: Expand Connector Capability
After an initial release of an application connector that targets Minimum Viable Product capabilities, we continue to enhance connectors to accommodate new use cases that our customers would like to handle using a connector. We also update these connectors periodically to expose new connector capabilities that are made possible due to updated APIs published by the application vendor.
Note: Apart from new connectors, only a partial list of connector enhancements work has been highlighted below. For the comprehensive list of connector updates and fixes please see the release notes section of the user guide.
Amazon S3 (Tech Preview) connector
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) allows you to simply and securely store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere on the web. Using the Amazon S3 (Tech Preview) connector, you can use a Dell Boomi Integration process to upload, store, retrieve, and delete data from an Amazon S3 bucket.
Initial connector release. This new connector supports additional functionality and capabilities over the existing Amazon S3 connector which include
- Improved security to protect your data using server-side encryption with customer-provided encryption keys (SSE-C).
- The connection automatically retrieves the AWS region in which your bucket resides.
- The connection is not directly tied to a bucket, giving you more flexibility with how you store and manage your data.
- This connector is a Tech Preview not intended for production use. We will continue to support the existing S3 connector.
For more information, see Amazon S3 (Tech Preview) connector.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (Tech Preview) connector
Use the Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (Tech Preview) connector to connect the Dell Boomi AtomSphere platform to any Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement service (also called Dynamics 365 for CRM).
The Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (Tech Preview) connector uses the OData version 4.0 protocol.
Initial connector release. This new connector supports allows customers to connect to Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement using the REST/Web API that relies on the Odata V4 protocol.
- This connector is a Tech Preview not intended for production use.
For more information, see Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (Tech Preview) connector.
Workday Prism (Tech Preview) connector
Workday Prism allows you to bring together your data (Workday and non-Workday data) from any source so you can prepare, analyze, and securely share it with your organization. You gain the insights that you need to drive better business decisions and outcomes. You can bring external data sources into Workday, govern them along with existing Workday data sources, and generate financial and HR insights that can be shared across your organization.
Initial connector release. Using the Workday Prism (Tech Preview) connector, you can use a Dell Boomi Integration process to upload large data files to a Workday Prism dataset. To improve performance and efficiency, the connector breaks up the files into smaller chunks.
- This connector is a Tech Preview not intended for production use.
For more information, see Workday Prism (Tech Preview) connector
The Shopify connector enables you to integrate with Shopify, the e-commerce site for setting up and running storefronts.
The connector is updated to support the following additional objects: Custom Collection, Location, Product Variant, Inventory Item, and Inventory Level.
For more information, see Shopify connector.
Use the Database connector to select, insert, update and delete records in a database.
The connector is updated to add the capability to execute batches of SQL statements at the JDBC operation level. This enhancement should significantly improve the performance of the connector when the database is not on the same network as the Atom.
The SAP connector enables you to connect to your SAP NetWeaver-based application and get or send data using BAPIs, Remote Function Modules (RFMs) and asynchronously using IDocs.
The connector is updated to support the capability to configure database pooling for the TID (transaction tracking) database, which improves connector performance.
For more information, see SAP connection.
User Experience (UX)
Initiative: Unified Platform
To better align with our unified platform efforts, with the October 2018 release of AtomSphere:
- The Dell Boomi platform is Dell Boomi AtomSphere! You will see "Dell Boomi AtomSphere" in the banner across the top of the page, regardless of whether you are using Boomi Integration (formerly AtomSphere), Master Data Hub, API Management, or Flow.
- The AtomSphere application becomes Dell Boomi Integration! While you are using Boomi Integration, you will see Integration selected in the application menu at top right. To switch to Boomi Integration from Master Data Hub, API Management, or Flow, open the application menu and select Integration.
Call for Participation
What: Research & Discovery with Customers, Partners, and Internal Users
Boomi uses evidence-based design to ensure that new features and design elements enhance ease of use and overall user experience. User Experience (UX) designers and researchers meet with Boomi users to discuss use cases, create scenarios, and test concepts, to validate their usability. The outcome of these efforts influences how features are designed and implemented.
These sessions are conducted remotely or in-person, and generally wrap up within an hour. If you would like to participate in future usability sessions, please provide your information in this form, including the areas of Boomi in which you want to be involved.
Coming Soon: Community and Support Site Migration - October 27, 2018
The Boomi Community is moving to a new home! On Saturday, October 27 at 12 PM ET the Community and Support Portal sites will be migrated to a new, combined platform.
For complete details please see Community and Support Site Migration FAQ.
Community Ideas Delivered
Congratulations Boomi innovators! Here are your ideas delivered in this release.
- SQL Statement Batching at the JDBC operation Level
- Ability to access runtime "system" properties via UI/parameters list
- Export cross reference table as a CSV
- Ability to save/export process reports
- Provide an option in AtomSphere-Licensing to export a consolidated view of Connections deployed and their usage for the current account
- Ability to give varying levels of permissions to different environments (partial delivery)
Do you have an Idea for Boomi? Let us know! (login required)