AnsweredAssumed Answered

Process Properties vs Dynamic Process Properties - What is the difference?

Question asked by allan.ford577519 on May 25, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 by dvanmierlo

I'm trying to understand the difference between Process Properties and Dynamic Process Properties.

i.e. and what use cases for each ... when would a person choose to use Process Properties and when would a person choose to use Dynamic Process Properties ?    (specifically with requirement for atom/environment extensions and setting different values per environment.)

Thus far the differences I have noted are:

Process Properties are grouped i.e. a Process Properties can be any number of named values and are referenced as per Process Property 'PP_Abc' from 'PP_Fred' ...  where as dynamic process properties are referred to as Dynamic Process Property name of 'DPP_Abc'. i.e.  dynamic process properties are not grouped.

Process Properties (potentially group of values) are defined separately to the process and then used by process(es), where as dynamic process properties are defined per process on the main process canvas as per the extensions option.

dynamic process properties are extensible (available as options to be set at atom level per environment.)  i.e. no choice .. they are extensible.

For Process Properties .. there is a checkbox alongside the process properties used by the process to indicate whether they are extensible ... or not .. (available as options to be set at atom level per environment.)  i.e. You can have Process Properties that are not Extensible .. 

Dynamic Process Properties are set at the atom level in the "Dynamic Process Properties" section under extensions option for the environment, post process deploy.

Process Properties are set at the atom level in the "Process Properties" section under extensions option for the environment, post process deploy.

Process Properties are chosen from pick lists whilst doing development ... 

For Dynamic Process Properties you have to type the name and it has to match the name setup for the process exactly or things don't work as expected .. i.e. beware typos !

For a certain process that sends emails, I have chosen to use Process Properties and mark the values that I want to set at the Atom/Environment level with the checkbox to say I want them to be Extensible:

Online help notes are as per this section:

Process extensions 

Wondering if people would comment briefly on what use cases have been involved with Dynamic Process Properties vs what use cases have been involved with Process Properties ?

Outcomes