AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best practice on editing an existing "select" statement Database Profile?

Question asked by sgenesse599997 on May 17, 2018
Latest reply on May 18, 2018 by leif.jacobsen@dagrofa.dk

We have existing database profiles where type = "Select" and execution type = "Read". In the process of a system upgrade and therefore new fields have been added/removed or renamed from the tables in the new version.

The last time I had to perform a DB Profile update, I lost all of my exiting Parameters on the profile as well as in the Process and/or Maps that reference that Profile.

It seems as though the Import process treats the profile as a new one and forces you to rebuild your Param's. Since having 5 profiles that need to be updated, and many process/maps associated to each profile I was hoping for a better (non-manual) way to update them.

I'm wondering how others have handled this, are you manually editing your existing DB Profile by using 'Add Field' or 'Add Multiple Fields' and therefore not wiping out your existing Param's, or are you using the Import and basically manually editing what param's you've lost as a result of the Import and modifying any Maps and/or Processes accordingly?

Per Boomi's documentation I found the following, though I don't see anything specific about the need to re-enter your Param's, perhaps that's implied?

"If you need to re-import a profile to incorporate updates, the updated profile might affect the connections in any map where it is used. See the Profile components topic for more information".

Profile components

Profiles describe the layout or format of documents read into or sent out of AtomSphere. To describe a flat file, for example, the profile contains field names, delimiters or column positions, data types, min/max lengths, etc.

Profiles are used in maps. To map an XML document to a flat file, set up one profile that matches the layout of the XML file and another profile that matches the flat file. You can also use profiles whenever the document data must be inspected. Individual profile elements are commonly referenced as parameters for the Decision, Cleanse, Program Command, Message, Route, Document Properties, and Exception steps.

You can import a profile from an existing file such as a database table or an XML file. When you update re-import a profile to incorporate updates, the connections in any map that the profile uses may be affected. AtomSphere attempts to match profile elements in the new profile to profile elements in the old profile based on the full name path from the root node. Any change to the name of a profile element or any part of the element's path name causes a mismatch. For example, if the original profile element was Root/account/company/name and the new profile is Root/acct/company/name, all elements under the original account element no longer match. Because the existing map connections for those profile elements are discarded, you need to remap the connections for the updated profile elements.

Thanks!

Sonia

Outcomes