AnsweredAssumed Answered

Split flat file records to create groups with separate header/detail/footer

Question asked by gzucker on Jul 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 by gzucker

The tl;dr version of this question is: I am trying to build a flat file for upload and processing by a 3rd party based on records pulled out of the database.  The flat file has a file header and then potentially repeating sections that contain a batch header, one ore more batch detail records, and a batch footer, followed by a file footer at the very end.

Currently, I have a process that pulls data from a database that has a unique "header" field in each row that I can group by.  I have successfully built a process that converts the database results to a flat file format, splits the flat file profile based on the "header" field, creates a file header, creates multiple batch headers and the batch detail, followed by the file footer (haven't gotten to creating the batch footer yet).  However, instead of the lines being something like: File header, batch header 1, n batch detail records 1, batch header 2, n batch detail records 2, ..., file footer, it looks like this: File header, batch header 1, batch header 2, n batch detail records 1, n batch detail records 2, ..., file footer.

I'm pretty new to Boomi but have done other integrations on other platforms.  I'm sure there's a better way to do what I am doing but I don't know what it is.  I guess I am looking for some way to process all the "steps" required for a single group detail document (batch header, details, footer) before processing the next group detail document.  Process screenshot is attached.  As I said, I am a Boomi newbie, so if it requires more explanation because I made things more convoluted than necessary, I am happy to chat.

Attachments

Outcomes