MLLP Client Connector Setup

Document created by ruchika_yadav Employee on May 19, 2015Last modified by vreddy on Mar 1, 2016
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
This article provide some more details about the MLLP connector which you wont find directly in the Reference Guide. This is a good piece of information about MLLP client connector.
1. The MLLP Client connector is not intended to return any documents to the process after the connector step. It is not intended to function as a request/reply connector and the fact that it is passing any document (even the "request" data) is probably a bug.

2. For HL7 communication, the use of trading partner steps is strongly recommended vs. standalone MLLP client/server connectors. This is because the trading partner steps perform a number of operations automatically "behind the scenes" including population of MSH segment, batching/"un-batching", generation of Accept Acks, message type validation, generation of Application Acks.

3. When sending, in cooperation with the trading partner step, the mapping step is important because when you map to an HL7 profile it automatically sets a number of key values from the profile definition that are used by the trading partner step to populate the MSH segment and track document details to reconcile acks. If you want to use a message step to fabricate data without a mapping step for testing purposes, you will need to use a Set Props step to set a number of HL7 properties for the trading partner step to work properly. I might suggest putting your test data in a simple flat file or XML file (in a message step if you like) and use a map step to generate the HL7 format.

4. In the process scenario described in this case, to receive the Application Ack you should have a third process that represents the "other trading partner" inbound process to receive messages sent from "My Company"--in this case the Application Ack. It can be a little confusing when building processes for both parties of the exchange within one account, but you just need to keep each party's sending and receiving processes separate and make sure to reference the appropriate Trading Partner component. For example you will have two different "my company" trading partners, one for each party's perspective.

Question: instead of MLLP client connector should we use Trading Partner instead of MLLP Client Connector for sending ?
Answer: Yes, I am recommending using the Trading Partner framework on the “client” side to SEND the HL7 messages, NOT the standalone MLLP Client connector. To be clear, the “Accept ack” (i.e. the communication ack) is consumed internally by the trading partner framework to update the document’s status in process monitoring; it is NOT made available within the process. The “Application ack” (i.e. the functional/validation ack) is made available by the server process sending the ack back to the original sender, however it would need to be received by a THIRD process (the server process for that party).

Attachments

Outcomes