AnsweredAssumed Answered

Empty data column output as "null" in Message shape

Question asked by vreddy Employee on Jun 15, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 by vreddy
I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a Boomi tech and I would like to see how people out there get around the issue.

I am using a flat file profile with each column delimited using the pipe (|) character.

I am using a message shape to create a specific out based on a document  using the above flat file profile. If I refer to a column in the  document and there is no data in the column, then the text "null" is  output to the message.

The word "null" in the message will not work and defaulting to a space  (" ") is also unacceptable. I also cannot use a data process shape and  search and replace after the message is created because there are other  areas in the text that contain the text null (SNULLY for example).

I reported the issue as a bug but was told this behavior is intended. If  this is the case, then I would think it beneficial to have an option in  the message box to treat an empty column value as an empty string  rather than make the assumption that placing the word "null" will work.

The only thing I can think of is to default the profile elements to  something like ~~EMPTY~~ and then do a follow up search and replace on  those.

Thoughts?

Outcomes