AnsweredAssumed Answered

EDI processing options (XML or no XML)

Question asked by lawson_it_support275393 on Jul 25, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 by Adam Arrowsmith

I would like to get ideas, suggestions from you regarding EDI processing of multiple trading partners. Is using an XML schema along with EDI, a common practice. Lets say I have 10 trading partners sending 850, each maintaining their own 850 specs. I will have a process to simply convert each 850 into standard xml schema format and then a single process (for multiple trading partners) to use the xml data to perform final processing. Please see below, your inputs are highly appreciated.

What is the preferred option. What option is general practice? How have you used Boomi EDI at your client location? Did you create an intermediate XML schema or just processed without any intermediate XML schema.

Please read the 2 options below and suggest.

Option1. EDI to XML (process1) and XML to end applications (process2)

The advantages of above approach are the use of single XML schema and the process2 (XML to end applicatons) will be a single process for multiple trading partners. Only EDI to XML needs to be maintained separately for each trading partner, as EDI specs are different for each trading partner.

The drawbacks are we have to create XML schema and ensure XML schema is insulated from any future changes. Also the conversion from EDI to XML and then XML to end applications

Option2: EDI to direct end applications

The advantages are no additional XML processing in between. The testing effort could be less as we have separate process for each trading partner.

The drawbacks however, we have maintain one process EDI to end applications for each trading partner. 

Outcomes